What is a Guardian?
A Guardian is a family who adopts one of our potential breeding quality puppies and provides them with a forever home. The Guardian raises, trains, and cares for the puppy as their own, but True North retains all breeding rights and pays for all costs related to breeding. The Guardian family gets the pick of the litter puppy at no cost, but it commits to the following requirements:
· to live within 45 minutes from Westport, CT.
· to own home and not leave dog alone for extended periods of time; no children under 4.
· to bring dog to True North for health testing, for breeding (about a week), for delivery (about 6 weeks), and whenever necessary. Guardians are welcomed to visit dog and puppies. Male dogs retire from breeding when they are 4-6 years old; they will need to be available during certain times of the year and visit us for a short time during the day or for a few days.
· to be willing to follow True North’s recommendations for basic care and grooming.
· to be willing to keep open lines of communication with True North and giving us an update once a month.
The following requirements are things any responsible pet owner would do anyway:
· to be responsible for all veterinary costs and wellness expenses related to the up keeping of a pet; True North pays for all expenses related to breeding.
· to provide a safe environment that includes a fenced yard and take precautions to keep males away when dog comes into heat.
· to provide obedience training through puppy classes or private trainer that includes leash training, potty and crate training, and following basic commands. There is an incentive for all guardian families who obtain the Canine Good Citizen certification by the time the dog is 1 year of age.
· to make sure puppy/dog is well socialized, has regular exercise, and most importantly, has lots of love and attention!
If you are interested in becoming a Guardian, please complete an application and email me to let me know: email@example.com.
mini and small medium
we are located in Westport, CT